Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ridge of the Rockies

Just as the Tour de France ends, I'll be starting the PacTour Ridge of the Rockies 2008.

This will be my first full tour. 19 days of riding with about 45 other riders and 12 support. I have wanted to ride cross country for a couple of years now, so here's my chance.

We start in Kalispell, MT, near the Canadian border. Riding south over the Rockies, we finish 19 days later in El Paso, Texas, on the Mexican border. The ride totals 1950 miles and 88,000 ft. of climbing. The longest day is 148 miles (the 1st day!) and the shortest is 52. Climbing ranges from 2600 ft to 9200 ft. per day. On average it's 102 miles per day with 4600 ft of climbing. No days off!



If I was riding this solo I would start around 6:30/7am each day, eat & drink constantly, and hopefully get to the hotel by around 2 or 3. But I'll have to see how they run things and what others riders do.

Above is the itinerary. If any of you will be on the route, please let me know. It will be great to see you.

I will try to update this blog regularly, every day if I can. So please stay tuned and drop me a line here.

Click on the pictures to see larger maps and the route we'll be taking.


4 comments:

Matt Kavanaugh said...

Joel,

Have a great ride and pace yourself as you told me would, like every day is a recovery day in anticipation of the next day's ride. Then you can hammer on the last day! I look forward to reading your ride reports and following your progress.

Be safe,

Matt

Bernd Straehle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bernd Straehle said...

Joel - Have a fun trip, I will be following your ride!

drhundertwasser said...

dude, you are insane. i mean AMAZING. also inspiring (but not so inspiring that I have the chutzpah to get up from my couch and join you).

i have no good advice for you. you are going to be completely exhausted and in great danger for 19 days. anybody with the balls to do that is my hero.

not batman-level hero. but pretty damn close.

ride 'em hard & put 'em up wet! be safe but only barely: make sure you out race all those other riders at ALL COSTS.

USA. USA. USA!