Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 16 - Dog, Heat, Wind

We rolled out this morning as a small group of 2 - Rich and I. After the first stop, I rode solo for a bit. About a mile from the rest stop I was chased by a dog. This is the 3rd time this has happened on this trip. Sometimes it can be a little scary as they can come right up next to you and might bite you on the leg. Depending on the road, and how you're feeling, you can usually out run them. I knew those sprinting drills would come in handy!

About 15 miles after my encounter with Fido, Rich and company caught up to me. This was a really good group of about 8 riders. I joined them all the way to lunch.

The morning was somewhat overcast which kept the temps cool. Leaving the lunch stop (mile 75) the temps were really going up. For the next 2 hours it was between 95-105. But it's a dry heat :), and we were going downhill for the first 20 miles. The group stayed together all the way to mile 105, when I got a flat (this time the front tire got a thorn in it). Thankfully, Matt and Ruth stayed so I wouldn't have to battle the headwinds alone. Great day riding with some great people. One to remember.

btw - the pic (last) of what's supposed to be a river, is actually the Rio Grande. Somewhat underwhelming in this area.

Moriarity, NM to Socorro, NM

Stats:
Day 16 - 120 miles
RT - 6:20
Avg - 19 mph (fast!)
Elevation gain - 2500 ft.






2 comments:

Kerin Huber said...

Hi Joel,
I guess my prayers for north winds for you guys went unanswered. I missed saying goodbye to you this morning. Have a great rest of the trip.
Kerin

Sandy said...

Hi Joel, Yes, my brother is Rich Ruge. Please say hello to him for me! Thanks again for your blog.
Sandy