Sunday, September 23, 2007

Day 2 - Golden Gate

Bodega Bay to Half Moon Bay

I was exhausted after yesterdays ride. But it felt good to get back on the bike this morning, at 7am. Today was completely different terrain. First, leaving Bodega Bay, Route 1 heads inland traveling through farmlands. Again, many rollers. But it was a peaceful and quiet Sunday morning.





As Route 1 heads back towards the coast, you pass through several small towns. They reminded me a little of New England. Riding through the Tomales Bay area was really beautiful and the first time I found roads that were almost flat.





Eventually I made my way to Point Reyes where, for the first time, I saw groups of other cyclists. Most were headed out of, and back to Petaluma. However I did find one person that was headed my way and we rode together for about 8 miles or so through Samuel P. Taylor State Park.





From the park, I began to enter several, very nice suburban/countryish towns of Marin County - Fairfax, San Anselmo, Ross, Larkspur and Corte Madera. Now instead of riding on country roads by myself, I was riding with traffic. Eventually I made my way through Sausalito (where the mist felt like rain) and up to the entrance of the Golden Gate Bridge.







Once over the bridge, I rode through a very nice SF neighborhood and then over to the ocean. Coming down along the coast was interesting, and at times, a real challenge. I was going up a long hill, and it was so foggy, I couldn't see the top. Wondering all the time - where is it? I took several streets though residential areas to avoid the freeway that Route 1 became. I rejoined Route 1 near Pacifica where I started another long climb to the top of what was going to be Devil's Slide. This is a tiny strip of road that is etched into the cliff. Pictures I've seen make it look harrowing. Let's just say I'm glad it was too foggy to look over the side. Since they were doing construction on this road it made it even more difficult.


But once down from Devil's Slide it was smooth sailing into Half Moon Bay. I finished the day with a paltry 94 miles and 5700 ft. of climbing, in 6 hours of ride time. After checking in to the hotel the sun came out and the forecast for the rest of the week is good.


1 comment:

mosheo said...

Joel - The pictures and narrative are great. Keep it up.