Thursday, September 27, 2007

Day 6 - Run Forrest Run

Solvang to Malibu

Or is it more like the Energizer bunny? You wake up in the morning, get on your bike and start pedaling. After about 30-45 minutes you've loosened up and start enjoying the ride. But wait! Today's the last day. Say it isn't so!

Rolled out at 7:30 going through Santa Ynez and then into San Marcos Pass. This is another beautiful area with a bunch of rollers. Then I started up a long 4 mile climb peaking at an elevation of 2100ft (the start of the climb was around 400). For those that don't know, this is a hard steady grade (8-10%) with no breaks. For those that do know, it's more elevation than Piuma in a shorter distance. And yes, I can't wait to do it again someday ;)




Once over the top the decent is long and intense. Think Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I then proceeded into Santa Barbara, past the Mission, and down to the coast (that always seems cool in Santa Barbara). Through Montecito (hi Leonard), Summerland, Carpenteria and into Ventura where I met John and had a great burrito.





It was surprising to me, that in this entire ride, I'd only met 2 cyclists riding in my direction. While riding through Oxnard I met another cyclist. Jim started in Daly City and was riding to Thousand Oaks. He was keeping a very strong pace on his bike. He did 60-70 mile days and camped along the way. I guess this is how the real men do it. Let's just sat I was impressed. Here's a pic of his bike and gear (note the Brooks saddle).



I was now in very familiar territory as I ride often through the vegetable and fruit fields of Camarillo and down the coast and mountains of Malibu. While I was riding this part I was struck by the fact that I am so lucky to be able to live and ride in this area. After riding over 600 miles of California coast, this area really does have it all. Here are some pics I've taken over the last couple of years while riding around here.











I met John at Malibu bluffs and called it a day at 110 miles and 5000 ft of elevation.

'nuff said :)

No comments: