Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day 19 - What a Trip

I'm actually writing this post at the airport on the way home. The last day of riding was yesterday. I spent most of yesterday reflecting on the trip and writing this post in my mind. Of course, I only remember bits and pieces of it - lol. There is a lot to say so I will leave most of it for a follow up email after I've had some time to reflect. But here's what the day was like.

We started late with bfast at 7:30. At 8am we did the customary group photo. It's a short day (64 miles) with lunch at the end. This is the only time we get to eat lunch and NOT get back on the bike. I left with David, Craig and Chip aka, the fast boys. These are also really great guys to ride with - lot's of fun and lot's of humor, while keeping it serious. We did the first 35 miles with a 22mph avg.

Once we crossed into Texas, we did our last pass climb that eventually took us into El Paso. There was a great rest stop at the top of the climb where you can see El Paso and Mexico just beyond it. Since I arrived so early at this stop, I stayed to hang out with other riders as they came in.

Then there was the remaining 30 miles to ride. Some of it on the interstate where Carl got a flat. Lot's of fun changing a flat on the Interstate....NOT. To top it off we had a headwind the entire time on the interstate. But once we got off, we had a glorious tailwind - a great way to cap the trip. I was part of a group of 6 that maintained 30-35mph until we reached the hotel. A fun, fast, challenging day - that's PAC Tour! :)

Once we finished lunch we packed up our bikes and then made our way to our hotel rooms to relax. There was a buffet dinner for everyone - the only time the entire group ate dinner together. Then there were the closing ceremonies.

It was really great! And I wish you were all there last night. Lon and Sue present a plaque with a picture to each rider. Then there's the hall of fame inductees for those that reached 10,000 PAC Tour miles during this trip. And for those that reached 20,000 (there were 2 last night), they get a special street sign made that goes onto the PAC Tour Hotel vehicle. Other words were said and all in all, it was the best way to end the trip.

If someone said to me this morning that I had to get on my bike today and ride 100 miles, I'd say "no problem - let's go!". It's also nice to have some time off ;). This trip was really everything I wanted it to be. I hope to elaborate more in a few days.

Las Cruces, NM to El Paso, TX

Todays Stats:
Day 19 - 65 miles
RT - 3:20
Avg - 19.5
Elevation gain - about 1700 ft.

TOTAL RIDE STATS:

19 Days
1998 Miles
114 hours 27 minutes in the saddle
about 84,000 ft. of climbing
17.7 average
3 flats (all in 2 back to back days)
endless grunts, sweat, smiles and laughs

Let's Ride!









4 comments:

Matt Kavanaugh said...

Congratulations on a great accomplishment! Looking forward to seeing you soon. :))

Sandy said...

Congratulations! Love the photo of my bro!
Sandy

mosheo said...

Huge congrats Joel. Truly enjoyed following your blog and the pix. Looking forward to the stories in person.

Bernd Straehle said...

Congratulations! What a tour! I missed a few days, because I was at Mt. Washington, NH, cycling of course :)