Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day 6 - Amanda's Birthday

The most significant thing about today, to me at least, is that Amanda is turning 16 today :).

Everything this morning went well until I got to breakfast. I was 30 minutes late because I had read the board wrong the day before, or I just got confused. So I had a quick breakfast, scraping the bottom of the oatmeal bin :) And didn't loose too much time. I pulled out with David and Craig (who also read the board wrong).

The route this morning took us along the Snake River and was once again, very scenic. The weather was cold, but a nice change. After the first stop (36 miles) I road alone until the lunch stop at 77 miles averaging about 20.3 mph. There were only 40 miles left and Sue was concerned about us getting to the hotel before the rooms were ready. This is a HUGE no-no. In the end, she had nothing to worry about.

Our old friend, Mr. Headwind, made an appearance and decided to stay with us all the way to Montpelier. We had 2 mountain passes to climb averaging 8% and then the wind to deal with too. Not easy to pedal downhill and barely get 14mph.

After the 2nd pass the road we were on was under construction. There was a traffic light and the road ahead was all gravel. We also couldn't tell how far it went like this. Fortunately, a pick up track had just pulled up, so we asked the driver if we could put our bikes in the back. We all got lifts from various cars. It was my first time in a car in 7 days and it felt very strange. After 2 miles we were back on pavement, got our bikes and finished our trip for the day.

Jackson, WY to Montpelier, ID

Day 6 - 117 miles
RT - 6:22
Avg - 18.3
Elevation gain - 4040 ft.
Weather - Excellent

As soon as I have a little extra time (ha!) I will try to add captions for the photos. Remember to click on them to see them much bigger. It really makes a difference.








No comments: