Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 3 - Floating Down the Madison

This was truly a spectacular day. We pulled out of Butte and immediately started a climb, probably about 3 miles to the summit which was our first crossing of the Continental Divide. Unfortunately, there was no sign so we didn't stop for a picture.

I spent most of the day riding with Lil and Ray (mom & son). Lil holds the UK Masters record for distance in 1 hour and Ray will be starting school at Notre Dame shortly. He is strong!! I hope he'll ride on the college team.

We rode through some breathtaking areas eventually coming into a canyon that led to the Madison River. This is Lewis and Clark territory. We finally had the wind at are back and I took a long lead out from the group. Once I started to slow down, Lon and company came roaring by. I grabbed a wheel and stayed with them till the lunch stop. That was a lot of fun.

Grilled chicken lunch on the Madison River watching tubers float by. Also being serenaded by my roommate - Mark Gunther. It just doesn't get any better. I left the lunch with the group but then suddenly it was just Craig and I and we rode together all the way into Bozeman. btw - Craig is the California State Time Trial champion on tandem! We had BBQ at Famous Dave's - not too bad actually. All in all - a great day.

Stats:
Day 3 - 101 miles
RT - 5:40
Avg - 17.8
Elevation gain - 3987 ft.
Weather - Excellent








3 comments:

Bernd Straehle said...

Day 1 18.4 mph, day 2 18.2 mph, day 3 17.8 mph. Definitely a trend now! Day 4 is "short", so I predict 18.0 mph. No pressure, just fun :)

JG said...

Hi Bernd,

It's a good observation. And as you know, when traveling these type of distances, anything is possible. To be honest, I'm not doing this for time. I know of only 1 person in the entire group that is doing it for time. Day 4 is way off the mark - you'll see why soon. Thanks for checking in. I'm really glad to see you watching the blog and commenting too.

Bernd Straehle said...

I know you are not doing it for time, I am just kidding. When I did my Rocky Mountains tour last year, I did not even track my time. Curious to see why day 4 is off the mark.