Monday, August 4, 2008

Day 7 - The 94 Mile Recovery Ride

You know your perspective has shifted when the 94 mile days are regarded as 'short'. Perhaps that's because we're usually above 100 and tomorrow is one of the signature days at 150 miles and 8500 feet of climbing. So for most, the idea was to go very easy today.

I rode the first leg today with Ruth and Lon. Lon and I had a chat about the work he's been doing in Peru which really sounds fascinating. Check out the PacTour site to learn more about that. We were at the head of a large group of riders, Lon was chatting, and I was trying to hang on ;). Then I decided to go the back. This is a pic from the rear.



Our first stop was at 26 miles today and this sign was there.



We started in Idaho, and then quickly crossed into Utah passing Bear Lake and towns such as Pickleville, which I'm sure would be Randi's favorite town ;). Not much to show because after a while, the pics become the same. But here's what it looks like.




I was riding with Ruth again after one of our breaks. For women on PacTour, finding a bathroom can be a real challenge. We entered the town of Randolph and there was a gas station, so we stopped. We met these fine young lads there and started to talk about cycling. They wanted to race us, so we raced them to the town limit. They won!




Lunch was at mile 80 and there was only 14 more to go. Entering Evanston, WY we were greeted by this sign. Being a corn lover, I was kind of upset by this.



We arrived at the motel before the rooms were ready, so a few of us rode back into town and found an ice cream shop (The Scoop) and ordered up a few milk shakes. Yum!!



Here's a pic of the fine establishment we'll call home tonight. Most of the hotels are nicer than this :)



And lastly, this is what I look like when I blog. I have the crew transport my special blogging sleigh wherever I go.



Montpelier, ID through Utah to Evanston, WY

Stats:
Day 7 - 94 miles (not including riding to The Scoop)
RT - 5:21
Avg - 17.5
Elevation gain - 2500 ft.
Weather - Excellent

3 comments:

Bernd Straehle said...

I haven't checked in in a while, have been busy riding myself on the weekend. Same old, just up and down the Coast between Long Beach and San Diego... Looks like you are doing well, keep it up!

Matt Kavanaugh said...

Great ride and great pix. Doing a 94 mile recovery ride is smart given what you have left to go. Enjoy! :))

Howard said...

Hey Joel...
Howard here (Dan's brother). Very impressive experience you're having. Dan told me about your trip and I've enjoyed following it. Have a great ride.
-Howard
P.S. Wonder if they serve creamed corn at the Evanston House of Prayer??